Following the National Trust’s nomination of Federation Square to the Victorian Heritage Register, the Executive Director of Heritage Victoria has issued an Interim Protection Order (IPO) in response to plans by Cross Yarra Partnership (CYP) to demolish the Western Shard and construct a station entrance at Federation Square as part of the Metro Tunnel Project. The proposed works seek to:
- Erect temporary hoarding around the station entrance site
- Demolish the element known as ‘the Western Shard’ (until recently used as a visitor information centre)
- Remove a section of the Federation ‘deck’
- Erect a temporary acoustic shed
- Undertake excavation works
- Construct a station entrance structure to the new Town Hall underground station and associated above and below-ground infrastructure.
To view the plans in full, click here.
Anyone can comment on the application by email to firstname.lastname@example.org, with submissions closing on Wednesday 12 September. Written submissions should consider the impact of the proposal on the heritage values of Federation Square, and clearly state whether you support or object to the proposal.
The Interim Protection Order will be in place for a period of 4 months, to allow Heritage Victoria to assess the nomination for permanent inclusion in the Register. Heritage Victoria will then make a recommendation to either include or not include the place on the Register, with a 60 day period provided for public submissions.